Sunday, May 20, 2007

The coordinates of my desire

"There is no freedom outside the traumatic encounter with the opacity of the Other's desire: freedom does not mean that I simply get rid of the Other's desire - I am as it were thrown into my freedom when I confront this opacity as such, deprived of the fantasmatic cover which tells me what the Other wants from me. In this difficult predicament, full of anxiety, when I know THAT the Other wants something from me, without knowing WHAT this desire is, I am thrown back into myself, compelled to assume the risk of freely determining the coordinates of my desire."

Slavoj Zizek, "The Act and its Vicissitudes", published in The Puppet and the Dwarf, 2003


"Il n'y a pas de liberté en dehors de la rencontre traumatique avec l'opacité du désir de l'Autre: la liberté ne veut pas dire que je me débarrasse simplement du désir de l'Autre – je suis en quelque sorte plongé dans ma liberté quand je fais face à cette opacité comme telle, privé de la couverture fantasmatique qui me dit ce que l'Autre veut de moi. Dans cette situation difficile, angoissante, où je sais que l'Autre veut quelque chose de moi sans savoir quoi, je suis renvoyé à moi-même, forcé à assumer le risque de déterminer librement les coordonnées de mon désir."

No comments: